Select publications that are available to read online or download are listed below. For a full publication history, see my CV. For my Google Scholar profile, click here. And for Academia.edu, see here.
Articles and Chapters
- Killgrove, K., and R. Tykot (2018). Diet and collapse: a stable isotope study of Imperial-era Gabii (1st-3rd c AD). Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 19:1041-1049. [PDF]
- Killgrove K. and J. Montgomery (2016). All roads lead to Rome: exploring human migration to the Eternal City through biochemistry of skeletons from two Imperial-era sites (1st-3rd c AD). PLOS ONE 11(2): e0147585. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0147585. [PDF and HTML] [Altmetrics]
- Meyers Emery, K. and K. Killgrove. 2015. Bones, bodies, and blogs: outreach and engagement in bioarchaeology. Internet Archaeology 39. DOI: 10.11141/ia.39.5.
- —–. 2014. Bioarchaeology in the Roman Empire. In Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology, C. Smith, ed. Springer. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4419-0465-2. [PDF]
- —–. 2013. Bioarchaeology. In Oxford Bibliographies Online – Anthropology, J. L. Jackson, Jr., ed. Oxford University Press. [PDF]
- —–. 2013. Biohistory of the Roman Republic: the potential of isotope analysis of human skeletal remains. Post-Classical Archaeologies 3:41-62. [PDF]
- —– and R Tykot. 2013. Food for Rome: a stable isotope investigation of diet in the Imperial period (1st-3rd centuries AD). Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 32(1):28-38. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaa.2012.08.002. [PDF]
- —–. 2010. Identifying immigrants to Imperial Rome using strontium isotope analysis. In Roman Diasporas: Archaeological Approaches to Mobility and Diversity in the Roman Empire, H. Eckardt ed. Journal of Roman Archaeology supplement 78, Chapter 9, pp. 157-174. [PDF]
- Montgomery J, J Evans, S Chenery, V Pashley, —–. 2010. “Gleaming, white and deadly”: lead exposure and geographic origins in the Roman period. In Roman Diasporas: Archaeological Approaches to Mobility and Diversity in the Roman Empire, H. Eckardt ed. Journal of Roman Archaeology supplement 78, Chapter 11, pp. 199-226. [PDF]
- —–. 2010. Response to C. Bruun’s Water, oxygen isotopes and immigration to Ostia-Portus. Journal of Roman Archaeology 23:133-136. [PDF]
- —–. 2009. Rethinking taxonomies: skeletal variation on the North Carolina coastal plain. Southeastern Archaeology 28(1):87-100. [PDF]
- Musco S, A Caspio, P Catalano, W Pantano, —–. 2008. Le complexe archéologique de Casal Bertone. Les Dossiers d’Archéologie 330 (Nov/Dec):32-39. [PDF]
- Killgrove K. 2015. Human Osteology Laboratory Workbook. Lulu Press. [Find Online]
- Killgrove K. 2013. Chapter quizzes and interactive questions for Our Origins, 3rd Ed., by C.S. Larsen. Online content for StudySpace and SmartWork. W.W. Norton.
- —–. 2012. Chapter quizzes, outlines, and concept checks for Essentials of Physical Anthropology: Discovering Our Origins, 2nd Ed., by C.S. Larsen. Online content for StudySpace. W.W. Norton. [Read Online]
- —–. 2011. Chapter quizzes, summaries, learning objectives, and outlines for How Humans Evolved, 6th Ed., by R. Boyd and J. Silk. Online content for StudySpace. W.W. Norton. [Read Online]
- —–. 2010. Chapter quizzes and learning objectives for Our Origins, 2nd Ed., by C.S. Larsen. Online content for StudySpace. W.W. Norton. [Read Online]
- —–. 2009. Chapter quizzes and metacontent for Essentials of Physical Anthropology: Discovering Our Origins by C.S. Larsen. Online content for StudySpace. W.W. Norton. [Read Online]
- —–. 2009. Chapter quizzes, summaries, and outlines for How Humans Evolved, 5th Ed., by R. Boyd and J. Silk. Online content for StudySpace. W.W. Norton. [Read Online]
- —–. 2008. Chapter quizzes for Our Origins: Discovering Physical Anthropology by C.S. Larsen. Online content for StudySpace. W.W. Norton. [Read Online]
- Killgrove, K. 2014. Teaching public engagement in anthropology. In: Blogging Archaeology, D. Rocks-Macqueen and C. Webster, eds., Landward Research Ltd., pp. 36-43. [PDF]
- —–. 2014. Lead poisoning in Rome: the skeletal evidence. The Open Laboratory 2013 Anthology: The Best of Science Writing on the Web, S. Huler, ed. Creatavist.
- Meyers, K. and —–. 2014. Blogging bioarchaeology. Society for Archaeological Sciences Bulletin 37(1):23-5.
- Killgrove K. 2015. Review of The Body in History: Europe from the Palaeolithic to the Future, by J. Robb and O.J.T. Harris. American Anthropologist 117(4):866-7. [PDF] [Altmetrics]
- Killgrove K. 2013. Review of Breathing New Life into the Evidence of Death: Contemporary Approaches to Bioarchaeology by A. Baadsgaard, A.T. Boudin, and J.E. Buikstra. Historical Archaeology 47(2):143-4. [PDF]
- —–. 2012. Review of Violence, Ritual and the Wari Empire: A Social Bioarchaeology of Imperialism in the Andes, by T. Tung. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 149(4):640-1. [PDF]
- —–. 2011. Review of Living Through the Dead: Burial and Commemoration in the Classical World, edited by M. Carroll and J. Rempel. Bryn Mawr Classical Review.
- —–. 2010. Review of Iron Age and Roman Burials in Champagne, by I.M. Stead, J.-L. Flouest, and V. Rigby. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 20(6). [PDF]
- —–. 2009. Review of Archaeology and Landscape in Central Italy, edited by G. Lock and A. Faustoferri. Journal of the Society for the Anthropology of Europe 9(2):20-1. [PDF]
- —–. 2008. Review of Biocultural Histories in La Florida: a Bioarchaeological Perspective, by C.M. Stojanowski. Southeastern Archaeology 27(1):152-3. [PDF]
- —–. 2007. Review of Two Historic Cemeteries in Crawford County, Arkansas, by R.C. Mainfort and J.M. Davidson. Southeastern Archaeology 26(2):343-4. [PDF]
- —–. 2007. Review of Hunting for Hides, by H. Lapham. Historical Archaeology, 41(2):204-5. [PDF]
- Killgrove K. 2010. Migration and Mobility in Imperial Rome. Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of North Carolina. [PDF] [Hard Copy]
- —–. 2005. Bioarchaeology in the Roman World. M.A. Thesis, Department of Classics, University of North Carolina. [PDF] [Hard Copy]
- —–. 2002. Defining Relationships between Native American Groups: a Biodistance Study of the North Carolina Coastal Plain. M.A. Thesis, Department of Anthropology, East Carolina University. [PDF] [Hard Copy]
Scholarly/Public Intellectual Writing and Outreach